Thursday, October 3, 2013

New House- outside

So... the last few months have been crazy.  Between February and August we sold our townhouse, endlessly searched for a house for ourselves with little luck, moved in with my mom, had a baby, and finally found and moved into a new house!  We're enjoying it and learning how to deal with maintaining the outside and inside of a house.  We first needed to tackle outside projects.  Here's what the outside of our house looked like before we had a bunch of trees and underbrush removed because it was infested with poison ivy.  I think we probably shouldn't have gone so overboard with the removal, but now we have clean slate to landscape.  Of course, we know have little privacy until we re-landscape.  Our lot is quite beautiful- it's a flag lot with a long long driveway which I think will be a blast for the kids.  We immediately added a fence for the dogs on a portion of the lot and are envisioning a pool in the future in the other area.  After pictures will have to come after grass grows and some trees are planted!  It's going to be a slow process.  The lot is really tucked away but the house is part of a cul-de-sac.  I've been putting on my high rain boots as I've been watering the grass seed and as I walk toward the house in my rain boots I always feel like I should see a horse galloping by.

Branches no longer overhang the house.  Chop-chop- although it looks pretty in this picture doesn't it...

Our very very very long driveway.  We had some branches removed as well as the underbrush so now more grass will border the drive.  I love that I can leave Maya outside and run inside quickly and not have to worry about her!

Maya's favorite spot to play is in the driveway.  The shrubbery in the picture above is gone- replaced with grass.

There is an old barn/farm behind our house.  The deer love to lay within its fence.  Maya loves to watch them.

Our new fence!  We selected it to match our next door neighbors fence since we border their fence.

Side of our back yard where we may put some type of pool one day.  A great spot for sports!

Some woods on our property- there are little paths in the woods that lead up to neighbors' houses- one of these houses has a pool- we MUST meet these neighbors :) 

We had all of plants and trees in this picture ripped out... now I miss it a bit.. it looks nice in the picture but it looked a mess in person and had poison ivy.  The removal has really opened up the front of our house. What we didn't realize what that this was all on a steep slope- but hey now we have a great sledding spot!

2 comments:

  1. I don't think you overdid it at all--stuff outside grows back/fills in so fast ... I don't think you'll regret ripping out what you did. And now you have the whole winter to think about what you want to do in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! That is true and I'm already feeling better with the grass coming in!

      Delete